Conference “Unshackling Innovation: Will Europe block or enable GM crops”, European Parliament, 27 September 2016.
The conference, which was jointly organized by PRRI and EuropaBio (European Association for Bioindustries), brought together over 80 participants from across the EU and overseas to share their experiences and discuss how Europe should deal with GMOs, based on science and knowledge.
Participants included Members of the European Parliament, representatives of the European Commission and Member States, as well as researchers, farmers, decision makers and other stakeholders.
Speakers included MEPs and Nobel laureate Sir Richard Roberts and World Food Prize laureate Em. Prof. Marc van Montagu. The conference was moderated by Ed Bray, freelance journalist for AgraFacts.
Programme and presentations:
- Welcome and opening
- Session 1: Agricultural Innovation & GM technology. – Why does agricultural innovation matter, and why does it matter for Europe? What about public research: will farmers ever be allowed to grow its GM plants?
- Key note lecture Sir Richard Roberts (PPT).
- Round table discussion:
- Em. Prof. Marc Van Montagu, PRRI,
- Sir Richard Roberts
- Pekka Pesonen, Copa Cogeca
- Dr. Filip Cnudde Dow AgroSciences
- Lambert van Nistelrooij, MEP.
- Session 2: Farmers’ choice around the world
- Key note lecture Dr. Claude Fauquet (PPT).
- Panel discussion:
(further presentations and statements will soon be made available).
Speakers Biographies (pdf)
Media coverage and other links
- European Biotech Week.
- Parliament Magazine
- Press release