The bulk of the work of PRRI is done by volunteer members , and PRRI depends to a large extent on the in-kind contributions of these volunteers and their organisations.
In addition, additional funding remains needed for travel, meetings, website maintenance et cetera.
In the start up years 2004-2005, such additional funding was provided by some governments and organisations. In the period 2006 – 2010, the activities of PRRI were mainly funded by the European Commission FP6 project “Science4BioReg” (total budget 800.000 USD). In the years 2010 – 2012, financial support has been provided by governments, international organisations and the private sector. From 2013 onward, PRRI members increasingly arranged funding for their activities directly, to reduce the workload of the PRRI Secretariat.
The Steering Committee of PRRI expresses its sincere appreciation for the in-kind contributions provided by its members and their organisations, and for the financial contributions received from:
- Government of Canada
- Government of Spain
- Government of Switzerland
- Government of the United States
- Rockefeller Foundation
- Institute for Plant Biotechnology for Developing Countries (IPBO), Belgium
- International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), Philippines
- University of the Philippines, Los Baños (UPLB), Philippines
- International Service for the Acquisition of Agribiotech Applications (ISAAA),
- Brazilian Biosafety Association- (ANBio), Brazil
- Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA)
- Black Sea Biotechnology Association (BSBA)
- Program for Biosafety Systems (PBS)
- Donald Danforth Plant Science Centre (DDPSC)
- Syngenta Foundation
- CropLife International
- US Grain Council
- United Soybean Board
Financial contributions to PRRI per year
- 2004: 30.000 USD
- 2005: 150.000 USD
- 2006: 155.000 USD (including FP6 project)
- 2007: 300.000 USD (including FP6 project)
- 2008: 285.000 USD (including FP6 project)
- 2009: 290.000 USD (including FP6 project)
- 2010: 60,000 USD
- 2011: 70,000 USD
- 2012: 60,000 USD
- 2013 and after: see above.
Donations to PRRI can be made to:
- Bank: ABN AMRO, BIC: ABNANL2A.
- Euro account: IBAN: NL 95ABNA0612293114
- USD account: IBAN: NL 84ABNA0605617287
As is explained in an open letter to Friends of the Earth Europe in 2006, PRRI can only accept financial or in-kind support if no conditions are attached to the support other than requirements for proper reporting and accounting.